Yeah, you guessed it! I turned 19.
Here is what I’ve learned…
I turned 19 on June 8th. Ahh, the birthday where nothing exciting happens.
I am officially one year away from ending a decade and beginning a new one. Woah.
And, as you all know, I write, a lot. I write what I do in the days, what I think about, and what I’ve learned in my time here on earth. Conveniently, I’ve learned 19 things. How fitting.
Thoughts of a 19-Year Old
- Saving money when you’re in high school can pay for expensive things later (like college tuition!). Do the hard work now. It’s worth more than that pair of shoes, I promise.
- Vulnerability breeds connection.
- NEVER be inauthentic or insincere. It is so taxing. Just be yourself. Always be yourself.
- Everyone is beautiful, regardless of shape, weight, size, sex, race, etc.
- Girls can be really, really, really mean. Treat people as you want to be treated. Make your world a brighter place.
- Self-care is exponentially important. Take a bath, paint your nails, have that sundae. You are worth it.
- People will fail you over and over again. Jesus’ love will not. Trust in Him. He shines through even in the bleakest moments. And He will show up even when they do not.
- Instagram likes, Twitter followers, and Snapchat views do not matter. Don’t waste any more precious moments caring about them.
- Your parents are not perfect. But they do the best they can. Forgive them for their faults and just love them. They won’t be around forever.
- No one will be around forever. So tell that boy you think he’s cute, hug your cat, call your grandma (or nonna).
- Do what you love and love what you do. Life is too short to hate the school you’re in, the degree you’re pursuing, or the people you spend time with. Life is what you make it.
- Change is good. Welcome it. Change = growth.
- Read more books. Have a question about something? Read about it. Interested in learning more about a topic? Check out a book and learn.
- And then pass your knowledge, and those books, on to someone you know would benefit from them.
- People are always coming in and going out of our lives. Be cognizant of the ones who never left.
- Dance. Everywhere. Always. Music or no; just dance.
- It’s okay to be different. It’s okay to not fit in. You are unique; embrace that uniqueness.
- Be a tourist in your own city. There’s always somewhere new to explore.
- And, finally, love. Love deeply, love fiercely, love all people. Love always.
My dear friends, thank you for reading The Rose + Curl for a whole year now! I appreciate you. 🙂 Here’s to many more.
Okay, year 19, I’m ready for you. Bring it on.